5 of the worst (Ok, the best) places I’ve eaten in Phoenix and Scottsdale. Don’t go to any of them, but if you do, take me with you!
I don’t really consider myself a “foodie” per say, I do not have the refined gourmet sense about me, rather I am more food obsessed. I don’t take bites picking apart the subtle nuances of gourmet spices and cooking methods. I live for the bites that make me clap my hands and giggle with excitement over their deliciousness. I have more than just a few times, been so giddy over my meal or dessert (often dessert) that the tables near me inquire and order their own. I love food, I am serious about it, and I simply won’t bother if it doesn’t taste good. In my quest I have had some outstanding meals at some pretty awesome places in the greater Phoenix area. I’m sharing with you, but don’t tell anyone else, we don’t want the lines getting any longer. ( Yea right, haha!)
1. Little Miss BBQ – I waited in line for 30 minutes, just yesterday to have this miracle of BBQ. Don’t tell me you don’t like barbeque, I don’t hear you, and until you’ve tried this place, you can’t be sure. The Fatty Brisket ( I can’t believe I had to type fatty) left me speechless, it is incredible. You need to know the brisket usually sells out before 2, so if you think you’re going to try it, you better get there early. This is no saucy BBQ joint, there is sauce if you need it, but their food sings on it’s own. I’ve had the pulled pork sandwich ( Scott the owner was visibly disappointed when I chose this over the brisket, but he didn’t know my lunch mate would literally order one of everything, so I was set) turkey, sausage and all of their sides, and just wow, every time. It’s teeny tiny and only open for like 10 min a day (11am – 4pm Tuesday through Saturday), the owners and their family make you feel welcome from your first moment in their line. We even got a smoker tour on this last visit. This is a hidden Phoenix gem, and I am in love. http://www.littlemissbbq.com/
2. Snooze – 3 words, Breakfast Pot Pie. You don’t know, there aren’t words, changed my life. This is literally the best thing I’ve ever eaten for breakfast. ever. That title used to belong to a fantastic little dive in San Francisco, who makes a dish called the Taylor Street Scramble, but now the champion has been over thrown. Last time I had the pot pie, I sold the tables on both sides of me on it, it’s that good. (Unless Flaky crust, and delicious sauce aren’t your thing) Next best, their pancake flight. That’s right, a pancake flight. Three pancakes off their menu of your choosing, it should be illegal. I’m talking Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes (sooooo good) Peanut Butter Chocolate pancakes, Sweet Potato Pancakes ( I don’t even like sweet potatoes, but dang I love these). I highly recommend, with two AZ locations, Phoenix and Tempe. The wait can be a bit long and they don’t take reservations, but you should try it once, and then never again so it’s not too crowded. Don’t be part of the problem. 🙂 http://snoozeeatery.com/locations/town-country/
3. Coconuts Fish Café – I don’t really want you to know about this place, but sharing is caring and all that. Fish Taco fans, these are your people. This ultra casual North Scottsdale eatery serves up the freshest, tastiest fish I have ever had in the land locked state where fish consumption could be a gamble. Oh my the fish tacos. Like a party in my mouth with a mango chutney and an extravaganza of delectable flavors. They are enormous and they come two per order, so if you’re dorky like me, you’ll end up needing a knife and fork too. If fish isn’t your thing, I also love the steak tacos, absolutely delicious. There are currently only two locations, one here in AZ, the other in Hawaii. Save the airfare, take the drive to Scottsdale, and try these. It’s cool too if you don’t, shorter lines for me. http://www.coconutsfishcafe.com/home
4. DeFalco’s Italian Eatery and Grocery – This South Scottsdale restaurant/deli is certainly no secret but man oh man is it good!! I have literally been dreaming about my next opportunity to have their meat ravioli. I grew up in an Italian family, my whole childhood is stuffed with amazing Italian meals, and I am going to tell you, this is one of the most delicious dishes I have ever had. (Shhh, that’s just between us) It is perfect in every way, the pasta surrounding the meat is the ideal tender blanket for a filling so good, I had to take a minute to sigh into food heaven happiness. The pizza is also just OUTSTANDING! Crisp buttery crust, fresh flavorful toppings, so good. My only regret is that the last time I was there, I was leaving on an early flight the next morning, and couldn’t eat my leftovers. I mourned that situation, just ask the folks seated in 17 B and C. http://defalcosdeli.com/about.html
5. Tommy Bahama – I know what you’re thinking, they make over priced shirts right? Oh but wait, in a few of their fancy pants stores around the country, there is a fancy pants restaurant attached. You’re thinking it’s cheesy right? It’s not. It’s like a mini vacation for your soul. Located in North Scottsdale, at Kierland, go sit on the patio on a beautiful evening and listen to the steel drums play as your sip your (kinda pricey) tropical cocktail (Coconut Cloud Martini for me) and tell me I’m wrong. You won’t, unless you’re grouchy, because it’s pretty awesome. The food is always fresh and flavorful, I love their tortilla soup and most of their appetizers, but it’s not about the entrée for me. It’s about dessert. I make it a rule to order dessert here first, and it’s worth it. My favorite? The Pineapple Crème Brule. This (and Del Frisco’s coconut cream pie but that’s another post) is what will be served in heaven by tiny cherubs. I think I heard the angels sing with my first bite, and every bite thereafter. Served in a pineapple with a perfect crisp sugar crust, I think it could aid in creating world peace. Did I mention I really love it? http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Stores_Restaurants/Scottsdale.jsp
Those are just a few of my favorites, I’d love to hear about yours!
Categories: It's Local